Peek A Boo Quilt

Peek A Boo Quilt
The Peek A Boo Quilt, one of my favorite quilting accomplishments!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

"Do not fear . . . you are Mine!"

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God." Isaiah 43:1b-3a


Wow - these verses say alot! 


Our house on the day we arrived in December 2010.  We had
to shovel so we could get in the door.
As a military family we spend a lot of time getting pulled up by our roots and re-planted elsewhere. 

It can be difficult and overwhelming.   Grieving the friendships you leave behind, knowing that there will be more where you're going to and to find the strength to unpack not only your household goods but open your heart to people and new experiences in your new "hometown". 


We are not what people think of when they think of a "traditional" military family.  Since 2003 we've only lived on an Army post for 1 year.  My husband is active duty, but stationed at reserve centers.  We live amongst civilians - most of whom have no real experience with a military lifestyle. 


I do my best to bloom where I'm planted.  I love that God has called me by name.  He'll be with me no matter where we go.  Even when in the midst of finding my place in a new hometown, He has a plan for my life.  I'll not drown in the sorrow of leaving friends or be overcome in the tides of boxes to open, empty and put away.  I'll not be scorched by the walking into a room of new women who've know each other for years, or have grown up with similar experiences.  The flames of difficult times and experiences won't burn me.  He's always there to protect me.


I've been told over and over "I don't know how you do it."  Yes, I think sometimes it would be much easier to have long deep roots that only occur by staying in one spot for a lifetime.  However, I can't imagine living life any differently.  I have so many more friends than I would have had if we hadn't gone full time into the Army.  I have been able to experience living in a few different places.  My daughters will have much more exposure to different people, states, cultures and attitudes than I ever did.  They will be developing resiliency.  The ability to go with the flow and make the best of whatever situation we land in.  For my oldest it's included 3 schools in 3 years moving at Christmastime.  I went to the same schools all my life - I can't imagine having to make new friends in a new environment like that over and over, but Bug is really good at it.  Baby Pie was only 6 weeks old when we got here, so she hasn't had to deal with the social aspect yet, but by the time we'll be moving again (probably next summer) she'll know things have changed.


"Do not fear. . . I have called you by name, you are Mine!"


Thank you Lord for calling me and insuring I am Yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment