Peek A Boo Quilt

Peek A Boo Quilt
The Peek A Boo Quilt, one of my favorite quilting accomplishments!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Baby Quilts


Wow, I'm behind in publishing the pictures of my latest two quilts.  I have several friends that I do playdates with on a regular basis and I've decided to make quilts for their kids, or kids to be as the case may be.

I started with a charm pack (40-ish 5x5-inch squared) and the same number of white squares and sewed them together  to make 1/2 square triangles.
I then sewed the 1/2 square triangles together to create pinwheels.
After deciding on how to lay out the pinwheels and adding borders I was able to quilt.  I love this part of quilting.   For me it's very calming.  You can see the stippling that has been done and the plain fabric in front of the needle that has yet to be done.  These two quilts quilted up quickly - almost too fast for my taste.  (That was a lot of "q" words in one sentence.)


The right quilt is for Aria - daughter of my friend Annie.  She received her quilt for her 2nd birthday.  The left quilt is for Piper, daughter to be of the same friend.  Annie received Piper's quilt at her surprise baby sprinkle a few weeks ago.


This is the back of Aria's quilt.  I like to get "artsy-fartsy" and add fun things to the back of my quilts every so often.  Hubby and Bug both say that it looks like I've run out of material and had to add something extra to make up for it.  Silly people.

Here's the back of Piper's.  I like that you can really see where I did and didn't quilt. 

I really like the effect I achieved on the corners of Aria's quilt.  I had a vision in my head of what I wanted it to look like and it turned out just right!
I also played and played with the blocks before I ended up doing a diagonal color stripe design.  That was lots of fun. It took up several days worth of nap times for me to make my final decision.
As you can see, the borders of Piper's quilt aren't quite so fancy.  However, since I figured all babies love tags of sorts her quilt is framed with prairie points.  I love the effect, and it really wasn't too difficult to do either.


Here's a semi-close up of the prairie points.


I'm also pretty proud of their names.  I appliqued them.  I attempted applique several years ago and it was a complete disaster and I swore I'd never do it again.  Ha!  Never say never.  I took my time and, though they're by no means the best applique I've ever seen, it's my best and far far from my worst.

I went to a quilt shop a few weeks ago and they had charm packs on sale for quite reasonable prices, so I stocked up.  These quilts were my first time using charm packs, and I must say I really enjoyed them.  Needless to say, I have bunches more to make more quilts with.  I wonder if anyone would buy one?

Looking forward to completing my next project - a rope bag!  The next baby quilt for play date friend doesn't need to be done til September, so I have time to play with other projects for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment