Peek A Boo Quilt

Peek A Boo Quilt
The Peek A Boo Quilt, one of my favorite quilting accomplishments!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Mommy Time

I have to admit.  Free time is hard to come by as a mom of a 10 year old and a 10 month old.  I jumped at the chance to have a free weekend with my mom.  Earlier this summer it was just too hot to transport our dog from her house in MI back to ours in PA.  Since I knew that my hubby would have a 4 day weekend for Labor Day, I planned to head back to her house alone for the weekend.  I must say, I truly enjoyed the 10 hour trip each way!  I listened to audiobooks and didn't have to stop every few hours for the potty or to change diapers or because someone besides me was hungry or thirsty.

My mom and I had fun together.  We did things that would have caused serious whining and would not have been fun to do pushing a stroller, let alone the in and out of the car seat.  We stopped at almost every garage sale we came across.  We went to two art and craft fairs.  We shopped til the stores closed at an outlet mall because the sales were so very good (50% off or more) on this seasons clothing!  We got to eat out and we ate in.  Lots of tomato and bacon sandwiches with macaroni salad.  We had ice cream cones and ice cream and toppings at home.  Indulgent! 

I must say, I truly enjoyed the not getting up for middle of the night feedings.  I loved not having the drama from my 10 year old.  I gloated over not having to plan meals or change diapers. 

All that being said, my husband is awesome.  He and the girls had a good weekend.  He took them to the waterpark on Saturday.  Something, I admit, that I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do all by myself.  No one got sunburned and according to my 10 year old, everyone had a pretty good time.  I am proud of them all.

I came home and the baby's diaper rash is almost completely gone. The girls have been well fed and are clean. The house looks much the same as it did when I left, plus several loads of laundry got done as did the dishes!

I told my friends that I was leaving him home with the girls, unsupervised, and they were in awe.  I just don't get that.  I fully expect my spouse to be able to care for my children in my absence.  Several of them confided that they didn't think their husbands could step up like that.  I don't think they give the husbands quite enough credit, either that or they know they've married bumbling fools that can't be trusted with their offspring, which amazes me either way. 

I did not take my sewing machine or projects with me.  I knew we'd be out garage saling and walking the craft fairs. Plus, I wanted to spend some evening time with mom playing canasta and talking, and not worrying about little ears hearing or the baby waking up to be fed.  Needless to say, I really need to get sewing this week to get these two bags done and in the mail for the benefit for Cousin Greg.

Husband is leaving for a 2 day TDY trip tomorrow.  He's packing now.  Nothing like passing off the childcare from one parent to the other in a 36 hour time span.

I brought the dog back with me.  She doesn't know quite what to do with herself.  She keeps pacing around the house.  I think she's looking for Gramma.  Not to mention, most of her napping spots have been overtaken with baby toys.  We missed her, but not so much. 

I need to start thinking about Halloween costumes for the girls, and if I need to sew them or just buy them.  I also need to start thinking about Christmas dresses for the girls.  Ugh.  Sew much to do sew little time.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment